Monday, December 6, 2010

The closer it gets to Christmas, the more I learn a different side of the Christmas Story. At church yesterday, we were talking about Mary, mother of Jesus, and Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist. If you've read the stories about how they got pregnant you know it is amazing. 

Every year we discuss how the virgin Mary traveled to Bethlehem to give birth to the Savior in a manger because there was no room in the Inn... but I sympathize SO much more now being pregnant myself. If I get hungry, I'll stop anywhere to get something to eat so the baby doesn't go hungry. If I feel tired and don't feel like going to the gym, I go take a nap instead. The Doctor even puts limits on your activity and even on traveling the month before you're due. 

But now I think about Mary. Young. Unmarried. Hormonal. Surrounded by stressful circumstances. Hungry. Tired. And traveling all the way to Bethlehem on a DONKEY. (I'm sure my doctor would advise against THAT too.) I'm beginning to see Mary in a different way. I see her obedience through the blindness. I see her devotion through the stress. I'm appreciating the simple things this season.


Here's the belly at 17 weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment