Friday, June 3, 2011

Post Delivery- what it's like

I know a lot of people that are expecting, and I know I wanted to know EVERYTHING I could about what it would be like. I didn't want to hear horror stories or be in a room full of people watching graphic videos, so I stalked baby blogs and websites for more info. If you're wondering about some of the things below, I wanted to write about how it was for me.

You've been carrying a baby in your tummy and you wonder what it will feel like to not have something in there...

You wonder how recovery will be and what supplies you should stock up on to feel better...

You wonder what your stomach will look like after birth... what to pack and what clothes you'll be able to fit back into...

You have been sleeping on your side for months now and you can't wait to sleep on your stomach...

**If you aren't pregnant, haven't been pregnant, or don't care to read about post-preg stuff.. please do not read further :)

Here's what it has been like for me:

I brought my stretchy pants to the hospital for post delivery, I didn't have any hopes of fitting back into pre-pregnancy pants... and don't worry, I'm not about to tell you that I could have haha. It was SO weird when the baby popped out.... my belly literally dropped and it felt so weird. I felt relieved to not have something taking up my entire insides. I took a shower at the hospital, but there's not much feeling of cleanliness with all that you have going on down there. I had researched what would be helpful for care after delivery, but I thought I would buy stuff later. Luckily, the hospital had pads, ice pack pads, medicine, disposable panties, etc that they stock in a "goodie bag" for you. So don't stress on what to bring. But do bring bigger pants for all of those goodies to fit into. Even if I had been able to fit into my pre-preg jeans, I wouldn't have been able to put them on over all that other stuff.

 Week 1 Post Delivery:

Week 2 Post Delivery:

They gave me a prescription for the pain... but I just take 4 ibuprofen 1-3 times a day. You also take colate (a stool softener), but even still, going to the bathroom scared me. I ended up having to take a laxative too. I haven't seen the stitches, so I'm not really sure what it looks like, but it's been 2 weeks now and it feels a lot better.

You still have a little belly the day of and after. I still had a pudge for a little while, but it's nice to see it go down as you get rid of stuff and your uterus shrinks back down. I was happy to see the scale back down to at least the 130's without exercise. I still have 14lbs to lose, but considering it's been only 2 weeks and I can't work out, I'm pretty shocked by how fast it is coming off. I still cannot fit into my prepregnancy jeans... I'm sure I gained more weight in my butt and thighs than in my belly haha.

Sleeping on your stomach is nearly impossible while laying in the hospital bed. The ice pack alone feels like a huge rock in there and not to mention the lovely diaper they give you to wear. There's not much moving you want to do. Once I got home and things got more comfortable... you have trouble sleeping on your stomach because your boobs are so sore. Mine looked like they had been to war and back with breastfeeding. Luckily they heal... but until they did (about a week) I was sleeping on my back or side.

No comments:

Post a Comment